Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Building a wood shed!


Yup, I'm building a shed to keep our firewood dry. Wet wood does not produce a whole lot of heat. Clogs the chimney, smells like hell and is really hard to keep burning. Need I say more?
Today I managed to lay the base and put up all the 4x4's but one. I somehow had a brain fart and I'm short two 4x4's. Alas tomorrow I shall squish two more in my little Neon. Oh yes it can be done, it does however make shifting gears a little problematic!
So how does one erect the frame of a shed by ones self? Imagination!! Yup. Believe it or not a rubber garden hose held one end of each 2x4 that now holds all the 4x4's together while I nailed the other end. Yes it is level and yes it square. The neighbours were all in bed early tonight... tired from all the laughing. It started to pour rain at one point but I couldn't leave it because the 4x4's were vertical (with no supporting 2x4's) and I thought one little puff of wind and they'd be done and definitely nothing would remain square. So I threw on my outrider jacket and hat and had at it in the rain. Yup - it was warm anyway. Felt like I should be building a calf shelter or something. Tomorrow I'm hoping to have everything that I can do by myself done. I'll need an extra set of arms to put the roof on I think. All is good. Next project: staining the front deck and stairs and then the back upper and lower decks and stairs.... In between I'm finishing off a few planters. Busy is good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lynda you had me laughing so - not at you of course, but with you! I will be there to help on the weekend, and happy to give the neighbours something else to giggle at. Life can be such comedy, and you have a great way of describing it!
Hope there were no ill effects from the dampness of it all and that you are able to get more done before the next squall hits. :o)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your fire this winter :)

About Me

My photo
Dog's, Dog's, DAWGS! They show us how to be honest with ourselves, non-judgmental and to forgive quickly !